B1G Football Preview: Nebraska Cornhuskers B1G West

Photo courtesy of Mark Boomgaard Photo courtesy of Mark Boomgaard

Team: Nebraska Cornhuskers B1G West

Head Coach: Bo Pelini

Last Year’s Record: 9-4

Key Assistant: Bo Pelini (will explain below)

Trending: Downward. Nebraska is one of the top five college football programs and jobs, and Bo Pelini has systematically turned it into what Rutgers wants to be. Four losses a year and coaching blunders that should send a blue blood program into orbit. Instead the BOlievers simply make excuses for his failures and allow him to embarrass the program over and over. There is NO excuse for Nebraska to be in the shape they are. With his best team as the head coach of the Huskers this season, it could be Pelini’s last chance to prove it.

Prediction: 7-5 (4-4) 4th in the B1G West

Florida Atlantic: Win

McNeese State: Win

At Fresno State: Loss

Miami, FL: Win

Illinois: Win

At Michigan State: Loss

At Northwestern: Loss

Rutgers: Win

Purdue: Win

At Wisconsin: Loss

Minnesota: Win

At Iowa: Loss

Final thoughts: In all of my years doing reports on teams prior to the season I never put a head coach as his most important assistant. My reason is simple. Pelini has made the program all about him. Even with all of the turnovers, the Huskers had MSU in trouble last season. They still lost when the Huskers had to be cute and go away from running the ball where MSU had no answer. Coaching cost them a win over the eventual #3 team and Rose Bowl champs.

Pelini’s press conference was an embarrassment to the once proud University that was only outdone in classlessness by the people who swarmed to defend his once unNebraskan-like behavior. A school that once stood for winning the right way on the field, in the classroom, and in society now has to look in the mirror at this program’s leadership and cry. They don’t. They make excuses.

There is no shame in losing four games a year, if you are Purdue or Rutgers. To do it at Nebraska is blasphemy and add to it, the shenanigans of Pelini and it has become a side show. I have become a person Nebraskans love to hate because I guess I think more of their program than they do.

They left the Big 12 to get out of the shadow of Texas, but sadly they haven’t got out of the shadow of Pelini. I would appear all of those years being treated so poorly by a previous conference that openly worships Texas; they have developed a complex because they no longer view themselves like they should.

The most underrated and undervalued college football player of all time is Tommie Frazier. The famed Nebraskan would have been a Hall of Famer in the NFL if he played today. He was RGIII, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kapernick before they were who they are. In fact, not one of them had his talent, and had he played in an era that used him like he would be used today he would have redefined football.

Pelini, who should be treating him like most programs treat their revered, instead got into a public spat. In fact he had the audacity to say via Twitter that the Husker program, “We don’t need him.”  Frazier wanted more from the team he bled for and the man paid millions to produce it got his feelings hurt. DUMB. How do you argue when you are paid millions to be somewhere you complain about, with a man who bled for free? Nebraska was never known to have the best recruiting classes, but every year you knew the best coaching would produce some of the best players. It was hard work, respect the game, and wear the red N with pride.

The Huskers still have the proud red N. They still have the best game day experience in football and still have great players. Sadly, the problems in Nebraska are in the coaching offices and the fans that sit in the seats and defend them.

Take heart Big Ten. If the Huskers ever fix it, they will make life hell for the rest of the conference. Every fan of the other 13 teams should send money to the keep Bo in Lincoln fund, because every year he is there, you have better odds of winning.

One Big Ten Coach told me last year after MSU survived with the help of the Huskers staff, “They (Pelini and company) have to try to prove they are smarter than everyone and that is why every year they have a couple of losses that don’t make sense.”

I peg them at five losses solely based on their coaches. They are better than that, but they have been better than four losses a year every season Bo has been the coach and they still lost that many.

Bo would be a good coach at other places, but in Nebraska good coaches are not what it is about. Frank Solich was fired after playing for a national title and coming off of a nine win regular season that saw his team beat MSU in the Alamo Bowl. He was not only a long time assistant to college football’s greatest coach in Tom Osborne; he is also Husker royalty as a player. He is one of the best college football players of all time. Solich won a conference title in year two and is one of my favorite human beings on planet Earth. Every day Pelini is employed in Lincoln the BOlievers owe Solich a bigger apology.

I can already hear my inbox blowing up with more hatred from the Husker Nation, but I don’t care. Just like I still believe in America, I still believe in Nebraska, apple pie and hot dogs. Sadly, some of America’s greatest people don’t believe in themselves.

About Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.

View all posts by Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
Hondo S. Carpenter, Sr. is the founder and publisher of SpartanNation.com and all of the family of services. The idea was birthed when overseas he ran into a Spartan not native to the United States who was wearing his Green and White proudly. He is dedicated to bringing you the latest and greatest information about Michigan State and Detroit Sports News every day. He resides in the Mid Michigan area. Follow Hondo on twitter here: @hondocarpenter.

25 Responses to “B1G Football Preview: Nebraska Cornhuskers B1G West” Subscribe

1. chadd c July 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Lifetime husker fan and nebraska resident. Can’t argue with a thing you said Hondo. As Nebraska fans we need Bo to succeed. We can’t wander the desert again looking for another coach. We need Bo to succeed even if the only thanks we get is for him to use that success to get another job.

Either way there will be another coach in nebraska in the short to medium term…as husker fans we just hope we can survive it.

2. Josh July 4, 2014 at 10:02 am #

I am 28 and was raised a Husker from day 1. I couldn’t agree with you more on this subject. Mediocrity has been accepted. The fan base isn’t outraged like they should be. This project has gone on long enough. I fear his recent public displays with the cat, among other things, has bought him more time. MSU and Iowa games last year were embarrassing. Te turnovers are a reflection of him and lack of discipline and they looked like they gave up in the Iowa game. This was a fantastic article from this Husker fans perspective.

3. Chad July 4, 2014 at 11:02 am #

I agree 100%. He is a distraction and thinks he’s a better coach than he is. What you failed to mention though is how much his players LOVE him! You also made it sound like all Husker fans back him. I would say, the true BOlievers are in the minority.

I was not offended at all by your article.

4. Sean July 4, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

This year is pivotal in determining Pelini fate. No excuses. Injuries or not AD Eichorst will clean house if Bo loses 4 games. (Already has started)

5. Jake July 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

Hey Hondo, always like your opinions. Just remember that their are some smart, non-delusional fans in Nebraska. It’s sad to say but I hope you are right on a 7-5 season. I can’t handle another 9 win season with a couple stupid losses and listening to our fans praise Pelini. Losing is the only way to get the bolievers to Boleave. I hate that I have to think like that, but it is what it is.

6. Mark July 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

Stupid article. He’s nowhere near on the hot seat…nor would he be fired after a 7-5 season. Try coming up with something original. .instead of piecing together bits and pieces from others.

7. GA Hill July 4, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

This is about as well-said as possible. Spot on across the board.

Signed,

A lifelong suffering Husker

8. SeanCallahansNeckFat July 4, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

spot on. Bo is an embarrassment. We can do better and I feel we deserve much better.

9. Guest July 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

Preach on brother! Sad state of affairs when I am more excited about husker basketball than football…

10. Zonie87 July 5, 2014 at 11:41 am #

This is about as original as used oats. Choosing to regurgitate old rants does not add anything to the analysis of this team and why it can succeed well above your wishes to see otherwise.

Are Husker fans stir-crazy for a conference championship? Most assuredly. Are there many fans delusional about the A.D. shelling out $6 million to bring in a savior that will instantly install the Husker program in the top ten and and a national championship contender? A good number, probably. Is that realistic? No.

The Husker boo-birds herein are all good people, however to wish the program or Bo ill will makes one wonder who is more loyal and committed to taking the program to a higher level of success.

I’ll put my money on Bo.

11. Tom July 5, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

This article is complete nonsense. The writer knows absolutely nothing about Nebraska football.

12. Tim July 5, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

The fact you list nebraksa as a top 5 job is beyond embarrassing. You lose all credibility with that statement alone. Couldn’t be a bigger suck up/closet nebraska fan if you tried. Fact: NO ONE wants the job because it isn’t very good, hence every time it opens they are turned down by everyone an resort to hiring the 15th candidates I.E. Callahan and BO

13. Mike July 5, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

Remind me what Tommie Frazier’s coaching record was at Doane??

14. Husker Hailey July 5, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

I certainly agree that Bo has done little right when it comes to winning championships and winning the media and fans. He has one more year and its 2014. He can’t win 7, 8, or 9 and keep his job, unless he’s on his 4th string QB. This years team has plenty of talent to win 10+ regular season games. I’m certainly not saying they will, but this is his last chance to do so. He knows it. His ego caused the talent level to drop considerably in his first 4 years. He’s embraced recruiting and the talent has improved heading into 2014. Nebraska Fans treat coaches like family, but if he leaves after this season, he may be treated as more of a stepson that never learned how to run a historic program. Bo has had success with quality defenses and this years group should be one of his most deep and talented. He’s got plenty of quality talent and depth on offense as well. I hope the 2015 preview is talking about repeating as West Division champs or how great of hire Nebraska’s new coach is. Time will tell….

15. Ron July 5, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Frazier??? Lol you can’t be serious. Everyone in lincoln here knows he is a LOSER

Hondo drinks cum

16. nebraskafaninwi July 6, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

Oh man, Friday, I really wanted an egg salad sandwich and I was just obsessing about it and I was like, ‘Man, I’m gonna make one of those.’ So Saturday, I went out and got, like, a dozen eggs and then I boiled them all and I just, I spent, I dunno, probably three hours, like three and a half hours making, you know, the mayonnaise, and the onions and paprika and, you know, the necessary accoutrement. And then, by the time I was done, I didn’t really feel like like eating it.

17. SeanCallhansManBoobs July 6, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

‘merica. f yea.

18. Sean July 6, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Tim. Sorry but your an idiot. Nebraska job IS a top job. The reason why they had a hard time is because they fired a coach they went 9-3. …Solich.
    Nice try though. You should tell your fictitious stories at parties.

19. Sid July 7, 2014 at 9:55 am #

The author conveniently omits the fact that Frazier called for the firing of the staff.

And he has zero credibility if he thinks a 49% college passer is sure-fire NFL material.

20. Larry July 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

I think the majority of Nebraska fans are on the fence about Bo and his future there. The out smarting himself comment is either right on or Bo really doesn’t get the “O” side of the game. Lack of discipline is inherently on Bo because he has none himself. He might be a great guy to be friends with but his demeanor is similar to Woody of old and other like him.

This will be the year that he either gets his act and team to play like they should or they should show him the door without regard to the final record. 9-4 may not save his backside this year. I am not sure AD Eichorst had his replacement in line last year as time frame may have not allowed for termination but you can bet your butt that he has his replacement on speed dial if things continue as they did last year. Want a microcosm of last year Nebraska team, just watch the UCLA game where they were up big just before half and totally fell apart in 2nd. UCLA even said they did not have to make adjustments, they just knew what Nebraska was going to do in 2nd half.

Sad!

21. Arizonahusker July 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

As a lifelong busker fan, I feel the same way you do about Bo. What I believe most are afraid of is looking like a bunch of turds for firing another coach that produces 9 win seasons again. We took a lot of heat for Solich being let go. (I have been told and don’t have proof but the main reason was one of his off the field transgressions that led to firing.) I hope this is Bo’s deciding year. If he doesn’t produce and produce big time then he needs to be let go. I have always had the feeling of everything being too gimmicky. I hate that. Go out and make tackles and play smart football. The quality players will make the plays.

This is one husker fan who does not blindly follow Bo but doesn’t want to throw it away just yet. He has built the current team and had a few years as a learning experience now being the sole guy in charge. Have to give a year or two to get the wrinkles out. I hope this is it though. (Seriously please be it.)

22. Scott July 7, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

I have been a loyal NU fan since 50 years. Fortunate enough to be able to start going to games in Devaney’s first year in 1962. We have to be careful to not settle for mediocracy – which we are starting to do. It was far to difficult a task to get us where we are. Many, many trials and tribulations along the way.

Of course, the problem is that it is difficult when to make the change. Many people wanted Tom’s head for many, many years. Couldn’t win the big one. But this is different. Never once did Tom’s actions reflect poorly on the program. Just the opposite. Total class. That is why we can’t give Bo much longer. Too much to fix.

This is a great article. Bo is just not near a good or classy as T.O. Of course, few are. Bo better be on a very short leash – which I truly think he is.

23. Josh July 7, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Blah, blah, blah. 28-24, NEB.

24. Dirk July 8, 2014 at 12:33 am #

First visit to this site, so I have a question: Does this author always build his case with ludicrous statements and half-truths, or is this a special occasion?

I was surprised to learn, for instance, that Frank Solich is “one of the best college football players of all time.” And that Tommie Frazier, with his sub-.500 passing, would be a certain success in today’s NFL.

Deceitful and delusional is no way to go through life: “I have become a person Nebraskans love to hate.” Dude, I hate to break the news, but 99.9999999% of Nebraskans have never heard of you and never will.

25. Bill July 8, 2014 at 10:56 am #

How many people outside of Nebraska think Bo is a great catch for any college program? I would imagine that Bo would have to take a lesser position in a Div 1 program if he was to be let go or left.

I am old school and some of what Bo does on the sidelines even offends me. Can’t imagine what recruits think when they have seen some of his actions.

Nebraska needs to return to the lime light for the Big Ten to appear back into the discussions of top conferences. In fact, I think all of NCAA football needs Nebraska to get back to challenging for titles for it to be as good as it once was.

I am not a Nebraska fan yet I used to enjoy watching them when they played and had a coach on the sideline that commanded the respect of their fans and players and even the oppositions players, coaches and fans.

This is not the Nebraska of old and it is too bad that their administration can’t see that the toll they are paying is too heavy of a price for any program let alone a program that has a history as rich as theirs once was.