Answering Your Michigan State Basketball Questions and Emails…

Photo courtesy of Mark Boomgaard Photo courtesy of Mark Boomgaard

Answering Your Michigan State Basketball Questions and Emails…

Hondo, I think Izzo should just kick Kenny Kaminski off the team.  He clearly doesn’t appreciate being a Spartan and Izzo doesn’t need the distractions.  Mike

You clearly have no clue about the situation and are the epitome of ignorance.  Secondly, it is people like you who make me ask why people need a dog license to own a canine but humans don’t need a license to reproduce.  I have had my fair share of dumb emails, but if this isn’t the dumbest perhaps the next one is.

Hondo, I love your work and follow you closely on Twitter for your great insight and whit.  I only have one complaint, but it is a big one.  When Keith Appling went down with a hip injury against North Carolina you tweeted that it looked bad and suggested that Spartan Nation should “say a prayer for Keith who obviously is in a lot of pain.”  The largest part of your audience is American and we do not practice faith or believe in God.  I wish you would refrain from spirituality in your work.  If not I may have to consider looking elsewhere for content.  Bethany

So, let me get this straight.  Because you don’t believe in God, you are telling me to not ask people to pray for a hurting young man or you won’t follow me on Twitter?  Bethany, if you think I am such a weak backboned human being why would you waste your time following me?  Thanks for the follow and good luck looking for someone else to get information from.  Sorry, but the PC movement in America is eroding our culture.  As one who has seen prayer work first hand, I could no more deny that than I could my love of this nation!

Hondo, I have been wondering for some time why Izzo cannot get the “big-time” recruits. Do the prima donna’s know they will have to earn playing time and feel they are too good for that? I am sure this topic has been covered before, but this is my first time here on this site so I missed out. Thanks, Mike Mick

I don’t think it is fair to call them prima donnas.  There are a lot of reasons why kids pick a school and while Tom has struck out with some of the players he has wanted, he has also picked up some great ones.  We judged Izzo in March and not the other 11 months.  I don’t ever go after a kid for making a choice on their future.  I would rather have them go somewhere else than be miserable at MSU.

Hondo, I was reading an edition of your basketball questions and you mentioned that you think Sean Miller will be the next head coach at MSU and I wondered why.  Does he have any relation to MSU? Jacob Lentz

If you mean by that, did he play or coach here, the answer is no.

Hondo, I heard you being interviewed this morning and you said that the silver lining on the injuries at MSU is all the minutes for role playing guys.  Guess I didn’t see that, but just wanted to say thanks for being glass half full guy.  Guy

Well Guy, it is Christmas and cookies are everywhere.  Right now the milk glass is not so full.

Hondo, I had a chuckle watching you and Dane Fife visiting before the game with Ed Hightower.  I used to really dislike that man until I heard him so many times on Spartan Nation Radio.  What a good person. Thanks for all of his interviews.  Pete

Thank you Pete.  Ed is a good friend and if you ask coaches and players alike, he is a well-respected referee.

Hondo, I know he is your friend, but watching Izzo kiss Ed Hightower’s butt last night made me want to vomit.  That guy has screwed MSU as much a Delany.  Good riddance old man.  Kyle

How do you really feel?

Hondo, as I sit in my seats I have really watched Keith Appling closely this year.  You are 100% correct.  He is playing like a different kid and you can see it how he responds to Izzo and how Izzo and his teammates respond to him.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Christopher

Thank you for listening.

I realize that my email won’t get picked because I won’t kiss up to our beloved coaches Hondo, but the next time Izzo has the audacity to say anything about fans showing up or not, how about he call out his head football coach?  My husband and I own a business and have employees.  We also have seats near the head football coach and he is rarely in those seats?  I know he is busy, but not like we aren’t either?  We pay for those seats and when we aren’t going to use them calling us out does nothing that benefits MSU.  Start with your buddy Tom.  Do you have the guts to print this Hondo?  Karen

Yes, yes I do, and I just did.

There you go everyone.  Another week of your MSU Basketball Q and A in the books.  Make sure to send in your questions for next week.  Simply email them to SpartanNationMail@yahoo.com and put weekly Q and A Basketball in the subject line.

About Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.

View all posts by Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
Hondo S. Carpenter, Sr. is the founder and publisher of SpartanNation.com and all of the family of services. The idea was birthed when overseas he ran into a Spartan not native to the United States who was wearing his Green and White proudly. He is dedicated to bringing you the latest and greatest information about Michigan State and Detroit Sports News every day. He resides in the Mid Michigan area. Follow Hondo on twitter here: @hondocarpenter.

8 Responses to “Answering Your Michigan State Basketball Questions and Emails…” Subscribe

1. Todd Gardner December 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Hondo

You have every right to publish what you wish, but your lack of tolerance for views other than your own have just lost Spartan Nation a regular reader.

Todd Gardner

• Mike December 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

If he did not tolerate them, he would not publish them, use the noggin. Oh, you mean publish but be nicey nice to them and just say, “well, we will have to agree to disagree”. He is communicating, through emotion, albeit a little snippy at times, but to express the level of disagreement. The response, such as to Mike about KK, obviously indicates that he feels Izzo and KK were both insulted by Mike and that Mike has zero information about the situation.

2. Jesse December 18, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Hi Hondo. I appreciate your honesty and willingness to speak your mind, including discussing faith. While closeminded people refuse to listen to comments they don’t agree with, I am glad you tell the truth as you see it. Especially since I don’t always agree with you. Speak loudly and firmly my friend!

3. Mike December 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

You were FAR too kind to Bethany. I assume she is trying to promote, based on some alternate universe interpretation, 1st Amdt philosophy by preferring to deny you the right to it. I dearly hope she is not an MSU alum expressing that level of absolute ignorance. Most do not even understand that amdt and no one tries to educate them and just allows the slow erosion of this country. If she is offended then, well, I am offended when she speaks/communicates, so I think she should refrain from speaking/communicating.

4. Alonso December 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Dear Hondo,
    I am always interested to hear your opinions and thoughts on Michigan State athletics. As a journalist you receive criticism and must deal with diverse people. The way you handled these questions really turned me off from your work now. You are an opinionated person, but at least listen to your audience’s perspectives and don’t just dismiss them. Check the ego at the door Hondo, lack of incorporating unique perspectives and opinions is eroding this country not PC. Looks like you lost another reader.

Alonso

• Mike December 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Is there a comprehensive perspective being expressed by Mike or Bethany in 1 or 2? You cannot be speaking of the others because at worst they he neutrally published them. Mike’s comment was definite, and Hondo disagreed. Bethany’s email was judgmental and trying to tell Hondo to hide his faith. Where is there room to relate with either. Mike flippantly said Izzo should 86 a kid’s college life where MSU is concerned without apparently having any information about the situation. Bethany is just a firebreathing liberal trying to control others. Where is there room for debate? They are the types who would stab you in the back and have you fired at work if it helped them, why are you so concerned about them? Yes, now I have said something that is a little presumptuous, but you defending those 2 is ridiculous. They need to be talked to like that.

5. Ron December 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Wow, I can feel the love and Christmas spirit in this posting and comments. Lol. Hondo, I appreciate that you stay true to yourself, your beliefs, and tell it like you see it. Do I agree with everything you say? Of course not. But if I did, I wouldn’t read your material because it would not add anything to my life. I will say that both sides in the debates of several of these topics could have approached with more TOLERANCE of the other side’s beliefs. I’m also disappointed that our fan base is losing a little humility in our success. Let’s not have the entitled attitudes as those in Ann Arbor. I will always be a loyal alum and fan. We have the right to question but should keep humility while doing so. Finally, impulsive statements without being fully reasoned and justified, especially when without all of the information, are usually overlooked by the masses as exactly what they are.

6. Hondo S. Carpenter Sr. December 20, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Thanks to all of you for responding and taking the time. Merry Christmas to you all.