2013 rewind of the 2009 football recruiting class…
1. Denicos Allen OLB 5’11” 215# Hamilton, OH Original class ranking #8 Denicos should have a great 2013 before being drafted in the NFL after.
2. Edwin “ROCK” Baker RB 5’10” 200# Oak Park, MI Original class ranking #3 Left early and is now a San Diego Charger.
3. Dion Sims TE 6’5” 224# Orchard Lake, MI Left early for the NFL draft in 2013.
4. Maxwell was poorly served by the coaching staff. Had three years to prepare and they did not have him ready. He has the tools. Maxwell needs an open competition for his job and better coaching in 2013. If he can get that he can retain his job.
5. Chris Norman OLB 6’2” 210# Detroit, MI Original class ranking #2 Norman had a great career. He was unseated as a starter in 2012 by upstart Taiwan Jones, but was a captain throughout the season.
6 Dan France 6’6” 275# DE North Royalton, OH Original class ranking #14 France has been moved all over in an attempt to get him on the field. He found his spot as the starting LT. A victim of poor coaching on the OL France is a super young man who can play and play well at this level.
7. Larry Caper RB 5’11” 215# Battle Creek, MI Original class ranking #6 Larry Caper couldn’t get past LeVeon Bell in his last year and the coaching staff lost faith in him. He never got the opportunity to garner significant reps in 2012.
8. Blake Treadwell DT 6’3” 270# East Lansing, MI Original class ranking #5 Tready has to stay healthy, but when he is, he can play. He will give 100%, needs to get better coaching on the OL.
9. Bennie Fowler WR 6’2” 180# Detroit, MI Original class ranking #18 Fowler has the tools to be special. He has to catch balls, but when he does he is a playmaker. A fantastic person, if he can master catching the ball he can play himself into a shot at the next level.
10. Kevin Muma K 6’ 170# Troy, MI Original class ranking #12 A solid junior season from Muma was a great thing to see. If he can repeat it he has a chance to get some post season awards.
11. Micajah Reynolds OG 6’5” #313 Lansing, MI Original class ranking #19 Reynolds is settled on the DL and showed flashes. Consistency is the key he is looking for and if he can find it, 2013 could be special.
12. Denzel Drone 6’2” 230# DE Plant City, FL Original class ranking #15 Drone is a hard worker, and plays a multitude of spots. Can he find one and compete? That is the story of his upcoming senior campaign.
13. Jairus Jones 6’2” 210# S Tampa, FL Original class ranking #13 Hampered by injury Jones will have a shot in 2013 to be special. Injuries have plagued him.
14. Jeremy Gainer OLB 6’1” 213# Detroit, MI Original class ranking #9 Gainer is another example of a very good talent who is struggling to find the field for meaningful reps.
15. Henry Conway OT 6’6” 305# Shaker Heights, OH Original class ranking #11 Conway has struggled since a major neck injury. Great kid who had NFL talent the issue is can he overcome a horrific injury.
16. Nate Klatt CENTER 6’4” 292# Canal Fulton, OH Original class ranking #10 Klatt has had injuries that have hampered him, but is a solid back up on the OL and is another very good player looking for a shot.
17. TyQuan Hammock LB 6’1” 220# Fort Wayne, IN Original class ranking #17 Hammock is a talent, but has yet to land at one spot. Weight issues moved him around. Can he find a spot and win minutes for his senior year?
18. Derek Hoebing TE 6’6” 245# Original class ranking #20 Vermilion, OH Hoebing has fought the injury bug and consistency. There is a wide open chance for reps in 2013, but the question is can he compete?
19. Corey Freeman DE 6’3” 235# Cleveland Heights, OH. Original class ranking #21 Freeman struggled to find the field for meaningful reps.
David Barrent OT 6’8” 293# West Des Moines, IA Still at MSU retired with injury
No Longer with the team:
Patrick White WR 5’11” 170# Pickerington, OH
Donald Spencer WR 6’4” 201# Ypsilanti, MI
Dana Dixon 6’2” 176# S Detroit, MI